An independent survey conducted by a pro-comprehensive think tank has found that the Sevenoaks Grammar School will have no detrimental impact on The Knole Academy, the high school in Sevenoaks.
The independent survey into the schooling needs of Sevenoaks pupils was conducted over the summer, and responses were received from the parents of 1,146 Sevenoaks children of primary school age or below. The parents said the following:-
- Only one Sevenoaks child whose parents would currently send him to The Knole Academy would instead send him to the Sevenoaks Grammar School; and
- 69% of Sevenoaks children whose parents would currently send them to grammar schools in other towns would instead send them to the Sevenoaks Grammar School. The survey think tank estimated this would amount to 143 pupils per school year.
This means that:-
- The Sevenoaks Grammar School will have a negligible impact on the pupil intake at The Knole Academy, the high school in Sevenoaks;
- The Sevenoaks Grammar School has very strong support from parents – it will easily fill four forms of entry per school year with local children;
- 99% of the Sevenoaks Grammar School’s pupils would otherwise have attended schools in other towns. The establishment of the Sevenoaks Grammar School will therefore reduce the travelling time for these pupils by up to two hours per day, transforming their daily lives; and
- The Sevenoaks Grammar School will free up significant grammar school places in Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells, which will greatly benefit the children of those towns.